Home Decorating Tips
How Is Epoxy Floor Coating Used for Homes?
How Is Epoxy Floor Coating Used for Homes?
Posted on December 1, 2021
Your home deserves long-lasting floors and surfaces that can withstand the test of time and resist factors that can cause their damage. If you’re checking out materials that can improve the strength and even appearance of your floors, you should consider epoxy floor coating.
In itself, epoxy is a polymer that’s added to adhesive products, although you can find it in primers, paints, and sealers too. If you’re curious about the possible benefits of epoxy flooring for your homes, keep reading! Take a peek as well at how you can safely apply this substance on your own.
What Is an Epoxy Floor Coating?
An epoxy floor coating is a two-part system composed of a resin and a hardener. It has a glossy finish, and is often used over concrete, wood, vinyl tiles and for industrial or commercial businesses. You can encounter epoxy floor coating in places like food processing plants, hospitals, breweries, warehouses, and factories, to name a few.
If you’re considering it for your home, it can be ideal to use in bathrooms, kitchens, basements, and garages. These places tend to deal with high foot traffic, extreme temperatures, or even exposure to chemicals, motor oil, and other similar fluids.
Epoxy floor coating is able to bind itself to the floor via a chemical reaction. Afterward, a curing process then occurs. At this stage, cross-linking prompts the polymer’s structures to be strengthened, with the result being a hardened coating that increases the floor’s strength and durability.
Advantages of Using Epoxy Floor Coating at Home
Epoxy floor coating can be advantageous for your home as they can make your surfaces more:
- Easy-to-clean: Because an epoxy floor coating creates one smooth layer above the floor, there’s less room for dirt and bacteria to hide in. As such, you can easily sweep or mop the surface to clean it and eliminate germs and dirt.
- Stain- and water-resistant: Floors coated with epoxy don’t warp or show stains attributed to water damage. And in connection to the first point, the surface can be easily cleaned too.
- Durable: Epoxy floors tend to be long-lasting and impact-resistant, and as such may deal with shock, heat, heavy machinery, or even chemical spills. Furthermore, epoxy floors don’t crack or show signs of wear and tear that easily.
- Eye-catching: Epoxy floor coatings come in various colors, and provide a glossy finish to the surface. In some cases, you can apply the floor coating in patterns to identify pathways or driveways.
- Safe: Epoxy floor coatings are usually anti-slip, so it can be safe for areas that get a lot of foot or machine traffic.
- Apart from these, epoxy floor coatings may also be:
- Cost-effective and cheaper than other flooring when the cost per square foot is computeR
- Environmentally friendly, since it leaves fewer waste compared to other types of flooring, doesn’t require harsh chemicals for clean-up, and won’t erode or flake and pollute the environment
How to Apply DIY Epoxy Floor Coating for Your Home
If you plan to go DIY and utilize an Epoxy Floor Coating like this in your home, you’ll need the following materials:
- 2 sets of brushes, rollers, or sprays (one for primer and one for epoxy floor coating)
- Epoxy 102 Reducer
- Epoxy Floor Coating 1805 FC Sealer Coat
- Painter’s tape
- Cleaning/degreasing solutions
Before applying any form of epoxy onto the surface, you should ensure that it’s smooth, clean, and free of dirt. You can start by smoothening the floor with a hand grinder or scraper, follow up with application of a cleaning or degreasing solution, and conclude by vacuuming the area. Afterward, let the area dry and do the final checks for the following factors:
- Ventilation: Ensure that your workspace is well-ventilated to prevent build-up of harmful chemical vapors that can cause health issues.
- Safety gear: Wear safety goggles or glasses, a respirator, and personal protective clothing before using any epoxy products. These items can help you protect yourself against dust and fumes emitted by epoxy products. These can cause health problems like allergic reactions and irritation to the respiratory tract.
Once all these elements are in place, you can apply epoxy floor coatings. Follow these steps accordingly:
- Mark the area you’ll be working on with painter’s tape.
- Mix the base and hardener of the epoxy undercoat at a ratio of 3 parts volume to 1 part volume, accordingly.
- Take the resulting epoxy undercoat mixture and combine with an epoxy reducer. If you’re using a brush or a roller, add a paint reducer to the epoxy undercoat, making sure that the former accounts for 5% of the overall mixture. If you’re using a conventional spray, add the paint reducer too, ensuring that the final mixture is made of 20% to 25% paint reducer.
- On a dry surface, follow package instructions and apply an undercoat or primer using your desired tool.
- Let it dry to handle for two to three hours, or to recoat for 12 to 24 hours.
- After the initial coat, you can apply another layer for maximum performance, and let it dry.
- Repeat steps 2 to 4, but this time with an epoxy floor coating.
- Let the surface dry to handle for two to three hours, or dry to recoat for 12 to 24 hours. If you plan on making the area more serviceable to light traffic, allot a drying time of 24 hours. Meanwhile, if you want the area to be mechanically and chemically resistant, it may be wise to dry it for seven days.
- After the area dries, you can then apply another coat for maximum performance.
- Store primers, reducers, and floor coatings accordingly once done using. Follow manufacturer’s instructions when it comes to storage and/or disposal?
If you’re convinced about potential uses of epoxy coatings for your floors, why not get a headstart today? With Island Premium Paints, you can! Choose from various coatings, undercoats, and sealers, all of which have a Product Satisfaction Guarantee. These products may just help you achieve the strong epoxy floor coating that’s ideal for your home.
For more information, contact a trusted professional who can help you understand and figure out the cost of epoxy coatings for concrete floors. Don’t forget to check out the Island Premium Paints website too for more home improvement tips you can try!
Our line of high quality paints and products will give your home or project the vibrancy it needs.
Ready to explore colorful possibiliies today? View our popular paint colo combination palettes for great color schemes and room design ideas for interior and exteriors.
Where to Buy
Get high-quality colors and finishes for your project from authorized Island paints dealers.